Monday, April 23, 2007

A new day for same-sex couples in Washington state

Amid happy tears and rounds of applause, Washington state Gov. Chris Gregoire signed a bill that grants same-sex couples some of the same rights as married people, saying, "This is a very good moment for me."

The state law, effective July 22, gives gays, lesbians and unmarried seniors rights to visit a partner in the hospital, inherit property when there's no will and make decisions on matters such as emergency health care, funeral arrangements and disposition of remains. Domestic partners are to register with the Secretary of State's Office to qualify for the rights.

"I'm delighted," said 70-year-old John McCluskey of Tacoma, Wash. "I don't want my family making decisions when my time comes, if Rudy is still around. He is my partner. We have committed our lives together."

No comments: