Tuesday, May 1, 2007

BP boss resigns after 'gay' revelations

John Browne, the long-standing chief executive of oil giant British Petroleum (BP), resigned with immediate effect Tuesday, following revelations about his private life centring on a gay relationship.

Browne, 59, who headed BP for the last 12 years, tendered his resignation after British courts lifted a legal injunction preventing a newspaper from publishing details of his private life. In a statement, Brown apologized for making 'untruthful' statements in legal documents relating to his four-year relationship with Jeff Chevalier, a Canadian.

In a statement Lord Browne said: "In my 41 years with BP I have kept my private life separate from my business life. I have always regarded my sexuality as a personal matter, to be kept private. I wish to acknowledge that I did formerly have a four-year relationship with Jeff Chevalier.”

1 comment:

buff said...

Yep, who really cares. But the guy made one serious mistake in judgement. If he had only made it public, he would have never been blackmailed. So much for love on the low-down.