Thursday, May 17, 2007

Fresno trans girl wins prom crown

Johnny Vera, a 6-foot-4 cheerleader whose late mother always told her, "To really be a lady you have to know how to walk into a room," certainly worked it Saturday as she was crowned prom queen of Roosevelt High School in Fresno, Calif.

Vera, who goes by a male moniker and prefers female pronouns but "isn't too hung up" if people slip, was students' favorite by a 5–1 margin, the school's principal told the Fresno Bee.

"This person is amazing. He lights up everybody around him; he always has a genuine compliment for everyone," career counselor Lupe Sosa told the Bee.

In her candidate speech Vera told fellow students, "For me, it's about more than a crown. It's about saying to people, 'Come out and be who you want to be....' I am who I am, and I'm proud of who I am. My spirit will never be down on the floor."

No comments: