Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Chickens - its like having twins!

It is Wednesday night, I am at home watching a little television before I go to bed. The home phone rings at 9:09pm. I never answer my home phone because it is usually a company calling for who knows what. I was a little upset that they were calling so late.

The voice starts... it is Paul from the Pasadena Post Office... my box of chicks just arrived! WHAT? I jump up, answer the phone. Yep, my chicks arrived.

Last Saturday morning, when the first shipment of chicks didn't arrived, I called the farm in Texas and they were going to send another shipment on Wednesday. I later emailed Missy and told her I received the chicks later that day.... all was good.

Apparently, she didn't get the message to shipping that I had received the first chicks... and they send the second box of chicks.

Yes, I now have 28 chickens!

These guys were born on Tuesday and arrived on Wednesday. 2 days old. The are balls of feathers with legs. It is amazing how big the first batch of chicks looked compared to these guys. They are adorable. All are doing well. All seemed to make the trip in good shape. The first batch of chicks were in transit for 4 days - two didn't make it. Too much dehydration on the trip.



The first batch of chicks have been moved to a bigger storage box and will be moving quickly to the new (temporary) brooder on my patio. These guys will join them in about a week - as soon as they get a little bigger!

No comments: