Monday, January 23, 2012

Washington State Has The Votes to Pass Marriage Equality Bill

HaugenWashington state has the votes to legalize same-sex marriage after State Sen. Mary Margaret Haugen says she'll support the marriage equality bill, KIRO reports:
In a statement, Haugen said, "I know this announcement makes me the so-called 25th vote, the vote that ensures passage. That's neither here nor there. If I were the first or the seventh or the 28th vote, my position would not be any different. I happen to be the 25th because I insisted on taking this much time to hear from my constituents and to sort it out for myself, to reconcile my religious beliefs with my beliefs as an American, as a legislator, and as a wife and mother who cannot deny to others the joys and benefits I enjoy."
Haugen's announcement comes as the first hearings on the measure are being held in Washington's capitol. Twenty-five votes are required for passage of the bill in the state Senate, and Haugen's would be the 25th committed vote.

No comments: