Monday, November 11, 2013

University Of Texas Swimmer Comes Out In ‘One Of The Greatest Experiences’ Of His Life


Post image for University Of Texas Swimmer Comes Out In ‘One Of The Greatest Experiences’ Of His LifeIn a heartwarming email, a University of Texas swimmer came out to his teammates recently, and instead of rejection got “one of the greatest experiences” of his life. Matt Korman, a junior from Houston, told his teammates that he had “fallen into a state of depression” and “had a hard time sleeping at night, eating, and have lost a lot of interest in swimming,” so much so he considered quitting.
“Although this has been something I have known for a while, it hit me particularly hard more recently as I have realized that I’m not getting any younger and would like to start dating and enjoy the simple things of life that I have been missing out on. When I was younger I thought I was only curious or it was just a phase for me, but have come to terms that I’m actually gay. (There, I finally said it).”

And Korman told his teammates they ”are and forever will be” his “brothers.”
“I simply couldn’t continue to hide this from you anymore because it was slowly killing me. I want you to know me for who I am. I pray that this will not change anything, but I know for some of you this is uneasy. I want you all to know that I am here to have an open dialogue.”
How did it go?
One of his teammates wrote to OutSports to say they “all been 100% supportive and have tried to provide him with the best environment possible, simply changing nothing.”

No comments: