Monday, November 17, 2008

A Day Without Gays

We're calling for a nationwide strike and boycott by all Gays and Lesbians AND OUR ALLIES, whether straight, bisexual or transgendered, on December 10th, 2008, International Human Rights Day.

1. Strike: don't go to work, call in sick, take a vacation day or just don't show up.
2. Boycott: don't spend money at those establishments that don't support our rights.
3. Spread the word: send this email to everyone on your list.
4. Tell your story: post why you believe in Marriage Equality below (like the following).Show your support for Marriage as a Right for All Americans!Until ALL are equal, NONE are equal.

WHY I BELIEVE IN MARRIAGE EQUALITY by David Craig

Because Marriage between two consenting adults should be a right for all Americans, regardless of gender, race OR religious belief.

Because I am not just a gay man, I'm a gay American. I pay my taxes and support my country and I deserve the same rights as every other American.

Because 14 years ago, I helped organize the Freedom to Marry march in Los Angeles and I'm still marching. But it's time to do more.

Because 18 years ago, I had a commitment ceremony with my partner but we still don't have the same rights as married couples.

Because when he was dying in the hospital, I was denied the right to see him, even though I had medical power of attorney, even though I knew his condition better than his doctors, even though I could hear him crying out for my help.

Because 16 years ago, my partner died, but if he were alive today, I know he would be beside me in this fight.

No comments: