Friday, May 20, 2011

People.com Editor Comes Out as Transgender

Janet Mock is an editor at People.com, a popular blogger, co-host of the podcast The Missing Piece, and the author of a new memoir in which she’ll share another piece of her story – her journey to come out as a transgender woman. She told her story to writer Kierna Mayo for a very personal and touching article published by Marie Claire.

After high school graduation, many of my classmates were throwing big graduation parties and buying new cars. Those kids went looking for good times and great memories, but I was desperately searching for one thing only: a chance to be in the right body for the first time in my entire life.
(…)
Two weeks after the surgery, I was in class at the University of Hawaii, finally focusing on something other than my gender. Four years later, I left Hawaii, a beautiful, confident woman armed with a journalism degree and bound for graduate school and a career in New York City.

No comments: