Friday, April 24, 2009

And the Miss California controversy rages on...

Last night Roland Martin and Michelangelo Signorile debated the issue on AC360.



Equality California has invited Miss California, Carrie Prejean, "to meet with leaders from her home state lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender organizations, LGBT students and a family headed by a same-sex couple to start a dialogue about who LGBT people are and the harm that is caused by denying LGBT community members equality."

"This isn't just about marriage. It never has been. It never will be. Those who oppose our equality want us ostracized. They want us gone...I have to believe that if she meets us, she will come to see our humanity and support our equality. At the very least, I hope she will realize that what she says in her public position as Miss California can either hurt people or bring them together. She can make a difference. I hope she will."

And another judge, Alicia Jacobs, speaks out: "I think it was a completely relevant question to ask. All of the judges' questions were meant to be topical, and, my gosh, certainly gay marriage is topical. It’s an important issue and one that most states are talking about as we speak. I mean, my home state of Nevada -- right now there’s legislation going on."

No comments: