Friday, May 15, 2009

N.H. Gov. Will Sign Marriage-Equality Bill

New Hampshire governor John Lynch announced Thursday that he will sign legislation to extend full marriage rights to gay and lesbian couples, making his state the seventh in the nation to do so -- counting California, where the supreme court is expected to rule shortly on the constitutionality of Prop. 8, which in November threw the court's year-old marriage-equality ruling into flux.

"My personal views on the subject of marriage have been shaped by my own experience, tradition, and upbringing," he said in a statement on Thursday. "But as governor of New Hampshire, I recognize that I have a responsibility to consider this issue through a broader lens."

Speaking with lawmakers, religious leaders, and residents helped Lynch form his decision, he said. The legislation would "simply change the term "civil union" to "civil marriage," which he says is a meaningful change.

1 comment:

Cash Gifting Practice said...

This is another indication that the face of our country is changing. Not for better or worse.

I believe that the institution of marriage should be reserved for a man/woman relationship but it appears that more than a few governors don't believe the same thing. I accept it, move on, and realize that many are liberated by this legislation.

I feel that my home state of NJ may be the next to enact same same-sex legislation.

Even though I don't necessarily agree I applaud these governors for standing up for what they believe in. With any mass movement it's always the first few that have to make the toughest s because they are subject to the most criticism.

Ryan