Tuesday, May 26, 2009


"So, will anyone be sleeping better tonight? Those full of hate and fear will surely be disappointed that 18,000 same-sex couples will be living in wedded bliss, kissing their spouses goodnight, checking off those little 'married' boxes on all those forms we fill out nowadays. That’s really going to drive them crazy. Then there are those of us like me who still dangle in 'domestic partnership.' We can adopt our own children, but we can’t bring our partners who might be citizens from out of the country, here. We can’t file joint tax returns. I could go on. Who will be happy tonight?


"How do I explain this to my children? 'Well, you know Ellen? She is married, but Mommy and I are not.' That is liberty and justice for all? I am hopeful as I see more and more states turn to the inevitable future of equality, California will get there. Change takes time."


-- Melissa Etheridge on the California supreme court's decision to uphold Prop. 8

No comments: